I had such plans for this month, to get the #WhispersyncDeal roundup out early, and then, well, more and more deals just kept needing to be added, and then this deal rolled out. So, before it’s entirely too late instead of nearly, and before I get to the more “regularly scheduled” Whispersync deals, first up this month is my top 18 picks from a glance through Audible’s Members-Only “Win-Win” sale, with over 200 titles for just $4.95 each.
The sale ends September 26, 2016 at 11:59 PM PT (US) so as of this writing there’s just about 36 hours. Get going! UPDATE SEP 26: The deal has been extended through September 30, so! You’ve got a few more days.
- By J. R. R. Tolkien
- Narrated by Rob Inglis — “In this fantasy classic, master storyteller J.R.R. Tolkien creates a bewitching world filled with delightful creatures and thrilling dangers. Performed with as much imagination and originality as Tolkien conjured to create this epic, narrator Rob Inglis will hold listeners of all ages spellbound with his skillful portrayal of hobbits, dwarves, and enchanted beasts.”
- By Ray Bradbury
- Narrated by Tim Robbins — “Ray Bradbury’s internationally acclaimed novel Fahrenheit 451 is a masterwork of 20th-century literature set in a bleak, dystopian future, narrated here by Academy Award-winning actor Tim Robbins.”
- By Scott Meyer
- Narrated by Luke Daniels — “It’s a simple story. Boy finds proof that reality is a computer program. Boy uses program to manipulate time and space. Boy gets in trouble. Boy flees back in time to Medieval England to live as a wizard while he tries to think of a way to fix things. Boy gets in more trouble. Oh, and boy meets girl at some point. Off to Be the Wizard is a light, comedic novel about computers, time travel, and human stupidity, written by Scott Meyer, the creator of the internationally known comic strip Basic Instructions. Magic will be made! Legends will be created! Stew will be eaten!”
- By Roger Zelazny
- Narrated by Alessandro Juliani — “Nine Princes in Amber is the first of the 10 books that are The Chronicles of Amber; an epic fantasy series written by six-time Hugo Award winning and three-time Nebula Award winning author, Roger Zelazny.”
- By John Scalzi
- Narrated by Wil Wheaton — “John Scalzi’s re-imagining of H. Beam Piper’s 1962 sci-fi classic Little Fuzzy, written with the full cooperation of the Piper Estate.”
- By James S. A. Corey
- Narrated by Jefferson Mays — “For generations, the solar system – Mars, the Moon, the Asteroid Belt – was humanity’s great frontier. Until now. The alien artifact working through its program under the clouds of Venus has appeared in Uranus’s orbit, where it has built a massive gate that leads to a starless dark.”
- By Orson Scott Card
- Narrated by Stefan Rudnicki and Emily Janice Card — “Danny North knew from early childhood that his family was different – and that he was different from them. While his cousins were learning how to create the things that commoners called fairies, ghosts, golems, trolls, werewolves, and other such miracles that were the heritage of the North family, Danny worried that he would never show a talent, never form an “outself”. He grew up in the rambling old house, filled with dozens of cousins and aunts and uncles, all ruled by his father. Their home was isolated in the mountains of western Virginia, far from town, far from schools, far from other people. There are many secrets in the House, and many rules that Danny must follow. There is a secret library with only a few dozen books, and none of them in English – but Danny and his cousins are expected to become fluent in the language of the books. While Danny’s cousins are free to create magic whenever they like, they must never do it where outsiders might see. Unfortunately, there are some secrets kept from Danny as well. And that will lead to disaster for the North family.”